Anchor Boys is the youngest section in the BB and is for boys of school stages Primary 1, Primary 2 and Primary 3.
Our section is led by Craig McQueen, with the support of other staff from the Company, and meets on Friday evenings between 6.30pm and 7.30pm in the small hall of Broomhill Hyndland Church in Randolph Road..
In recent years the group has usually numbered around 12-15 boys, which makes for an exciteable and noisy evening!
The Anchor Boys has lots of fun doing different activities which include:
- Making things
- Going on visits
- Making friends
- Working towards badges
- Halloween party
- Christmas party
- Summer outing
Why Anchor Boys?
Children of this age are developing rapidly. There are big changes in a child's mental, emotional, social and physical development. However, all children are different and have a variety of needs. The relationships formed with children at this age can be important in assisting them to achieve a sound sense of personal and group identity. The programme will provide a wide variety of different activities including:
- Learning new skills: the dexterity required for arts and crafts, following simple instructions for games and activities
- Developing confidence: given opportunities to do things for themselves, praise for good behaviour, taking part in simple role-play, mime and drama
- Developing physical skills: co-ordination games, hopping, skipping and balancing games
- Developing independence: being given simple choices of activities, short trips and visits
- Developing a group identity: belonging to a group, going on trips as a group, taking part in group activities
- Developing an awareness of the needs of others: learning to share and co-operate
- Developing a personal identity: learning about how we are all different, looking at the different needs and interest of others
And most importantly...opportunities for fun and enjoyment!